How to keep engineers interested, and understand the people the company is so keen to tell us are the core of the business :
- engineers love problems, keep the work interesting;
- engineers are creative. Give them space to do so;
- engineers need autonomy to do the above;
- we do the work we do because no-one else has solved the problem before. That means we fail sometimes. We need the freedom to fail and recover, because sometimes new things don’t work;
- engineers love creating value. If you want to demotivate them, give them meaningless work that no-one will see. We want projects that people will use.