Around 18 months ago, I decided I needed a new job. It took almost 8 months to find my current job, and I swayed between wanting to leave and wanting to stay. In the end I discovered that I was finding excuses to stay because I’d been there long enough, and made enough friends, to be scared of leaving. But the company I left was a very different company to the one I joined.
If you’re starting the new year after some time off, starting to fear going back, or having doubts about your job, have a think about these things, and see where you stand. Then decide if you want to stick or shift.
Some of these are things I’ve felt, others are ones that came up from multiple people in recruitment interviews I’ve done over the last few years.
- You don’t see yourself here in 5 years
- You have more direction than your company
- You’ve lost sight of, or respect for, the company values
- You do all your learning, and all your best work, out of the office
- The idea of doing the same thing next year fill you with dread. But it’s exactly what you expect
- You’re ready for the next step, but you can’t see where that step is.
- Your team, or your company, is shrinking, and no plans for growth are forthcoming.
What’s made you switch jobs?